Crowdsource With Us!
Become a ChicagoNatureNOW! Explorer
Be part of our enthusiastic crowdsourcing community and be rewarded with the latest local wildflower blooming news. All it takes is that you share what you experienced on our private ChicagoNatureNOW! EXPLORERS Facebook group after visiting any of our showcase preserves.
The purpose of ChicagoNatureNOW! is to restore the natural beauty of the Chicago region by getting people to fall in love with Chicago nature. Unfortunately, most people don’t even know that the love-of-their-life is waiting there just for them! And being a ChicagoNatureNOW! Explorer is being a Nature Matchmaker. You’re introducing people to nature to sparking love affairs. After all, every day of the growing season, Chicago nature brings them flowers! And we’re there to show people when and where to go on a date.
Each week, Mike MacDonald connects Chicagoans with nature by providing free local wildflower forecasts that occur at specific nature preserves around the Chicago region. These forecasts are driven by his one-of-a-kind proprietary database of local blooming events that he began compiling in 2003 for his photography. However, the data can only tell us so much. Mother Nature is mysterious. She follows her own secret schedule. And to be an Explorer means that you’re privy to the latest wildflower blooms.
So, what’s in it for you, other than that really good feeling you get by doing a great thing for the world? Here’s a short list”
- LATEST WILDFLOWER NEWS: When you join, you benefit greatly by receiving the latest Chicago wildflower blooming news brought to you by your fellow Explorers.
- LEARN ABOUT NATURE: You’ll be part of a group of nature and wildflower lovers who freely share their knowledge.
- BE PART OF A NOBLE & CARING GROUP: Interact with passionate people who love nature just like you.
To apply to become a ChicagoNatureNOW! Explorer, visit our ChicagoNatureNOW! EXPLORERS Facebook group and read the ABOUT information.
We Need Explorers to Share Information About Our Showcase Preserves
First, you’re are going learn far more about Chicago’s plants and habitats than any user of this website. And you’ll be getting encouragement from a group of enthusiastic matchmakers like yourself. Plus nature reduces stress and brings more happiness into your life.
- Just join our ChicagoNatureNOW! Explorers Facebook group and start sharing your pictures and descriptions whenever you visit one our our showcase preserves. Once you join the group, use this link to learn about how to share and how to learn about the latest wildflower blooms: https://www.facebook.com/groups/explorerschicagonaturenow/learning_content/.
- When you post to the group:
- Always tell us the name of the preserve and, if you can, the names of the flowers. If you don’t know that names, just ask (and learn)!
- Cell phone pictures are great. You don’t have to be a photographer.
- Take lots of pictures, mainly scenery so that people can feel what it’s like to be there.
- It’s valuable to post even when there’s not much wildflower activity. You’re helping everyone out.