Experience the wide-open space of the vast prairie and fen. Hike the rolling terrain and disappear into the horizon.
- Special wetlands called fens can be found through the preserve
- Very large expanse of prairie with short and long trails that take you on a journey
- Sedge meadow
- Wildflowers and tall grass
- Lots of butterflies and birds
Best Times to Visit:
- May through September for flowers in the prairie and fen
- Visit any time to get away from it all
Mike’s Thoughts: With few man-made obstructions to scar the horizon, the expansive vistas at Lake in the Hills Fen make me feel far from civilization.
Notes: The preserve is located at the back of Barbara Key Park off of Pyott Road. So that you don’t confuse it with the other similarly named park and picnic area on Jefferson Street, just find Barbara Key Park on your map.
Learn more about Lake in the Hills Fen Nature Preserve from these websites:
© 2016 – 2018, Mike MacDonald. All rights reserved.